It was in 1890 that a German immigrant, David Benno Rappart, purchased the Caldy Manor Estate from the heirs of the Barton family, and in 1906, along with others, formed Caldy Manor Estate Limited. Their vision was to develop the area as a pleasant residential village. Soon after, he sought advice on building a golf course and approached the then Royal Liverpool Golf Club Head Professional, Jack Morris (nephew of Old Tom Morris) to design the original nine holes at a cost of £50. It was in June 1907 that these holes were first opened for play.
In 1908, the original Clubhouse was built. A cottage type structure, it had a veranda and locker room to the right, a main room to the centre, and a small room to the left dedicated to the ladies. At this time, there was no bar, however tea could be ordered through a small hatch. In front of the Clubhouse, was a rough putting green and a fence to keep the sheep out.
In 1915, Isaac Slade, a retired surveryor and the Club’s first Treasurer, produced this very first map of the original nine hole course. At this time, Greenkeeping was at a very basic level and grazing sheep kept the fairways and rough at bay whilst the greens were mown by a second-hand, three foot lawn mower.
It was in 1921 that Caldy Golf Club became a Members Club and later that year, Rules and Bye-Laws were drawn up and three Sub-Committees were formed to cover House, Green and Handicap activities. Membership was limited to 200 Full-Members and 100 Lady Associates. In 1923, the estate company made an offer to the club to sell the land covered by the lease (some 50 acres) together with the Clubhouse, appliances and furniture for £7000. The Members unanimously agreed to the purchase at an Extraordinary Meeting held on 16th November, 1923.
In 1929, an offer was made to the Club by the Estate Company for it to buy a further 50 acres of land to enable the course to be extended to an 18 hole facility. At this time, the five time Open Champion James Braid was asked to report on the suitability of the land for a potential new nine holes and recommend improvements to the existing layout. Following approval by the Membership, a mortgage was taken out to buy the land. The work commenced on the new holes in December 1930 and they were open for play in 1931. With a standard scratch of 77, the course layout played at 6515 yards.
Whilst the Club continued to flourish, the outbreak of World War II impacted further development as the Club played its part in the national effort. It was perhaps, in 1974 when the most significant change to the golf course and its layout happened, with the relocation of the Clubhouse to Links Hey Road and its existing home and the creation of a further new layout. A new 11th hole was created, and with the location of the new Clubhouse, for the first time in its history, Caldy had the option of two starting tees.
In more recent years, the Club has continued to invest heavily in the relaying of all 18 greens, extensive drainage work and the resiting and removal of bunkering to keep pace with the modern game.